5.01 Lincoln University Law School located at the site of a former Poro Beauty College
The LU law school was located at the site of a former beauty school, Poro Beauty College, 4310 St. Ferdinand Ave. St. Louis, Missouri. The decision by the Lincoln University administration to occupy an existing structure was to defray costs for materials and faculty for the new school. Additionally, the choice of location was justified because of the large African-American population in St. Louis that would be targeted for recruitment.
5.02 The Call newspaper in Kansas City article: "Picket New Law School"
Some African-American leaders opposed the opening of the school claiming that blacks were settling for the lesser option and that the fight should continue to integrate the University of Missouri.
5.03 Law Students Entering Lincoln University School of Law Building
With an enrollment of 31 students and a faculty of seven instructors, the Lincoln University School of Law opened its doors on September 30, 1939 at 4310 St. Ferdinand Ave. St. Louis, Missouri.
5.04 1939-1940 Lincoln University Law School Bulletin
The first Lincoln University Bulletin for its Law School published in December 1939.
5.04 The Lincoln University Law Library
The fledgling institution gathered momentum as accreditation for not only the Law School but the library as well was achieved in the first two years of its existence.
5.05 A law student holding a book in the Lincoln University Law Library
The law library has a great holding of law books.
5.06 Lincoln University Law School Student Margaret Bush
First year law student Margaret Bush standing on the stairs outside of Lincoln University Law Library. Margaret Bush was in the second class of the LU Law School. She later became the second African-American woman admitted to practice in Missouri.
Section 5: The Lincoln University School of Law After the Gaines v Canada decision by the United States Supreme Court in 1938, the State of Missouri faced an ultimatum regarding admission to the University Of Missouri School Of Law by African-Americans and other minorities. As expected, a bill in the Missouri General Assembly, sponsored by Rep. John D. Taylor of the “Little Dixie” region, provided funding of $265,000 for the formation of the Lincoln University School of Law. Although the school was in existence for 17 years, the impact it had on African-American education lives on today.
Printing is not supported at the primary Gallery Thumbnail page. Please first navigate to a specific Image before printing.