Barnes-Krekel Hall was named for the Honorable Arnold Krekel, Judge of U.S. District Court, and also a member of the Lincoln Institutes' Board of Curators as well as a lecturer on Civil Government and Political Economy. The Barnes part of the name was for Howard Barnes, also member of the Board of Curators at Lincoln. This three story brick building served as the first housing for young women. The first part of the building was occupied in 1882 and second part of the building was constructed after 1902. The building was later tore down.